Sunday 30 September 2012

A Monster Calls (Patrick Ness) Review



I had heard nothing but good things about this book but I was unsure if it would be something I would be interested in. I was hesitant in buying it but when I come across it in my local Sainsburys for £2.45 I figured it was cheap enough so if I didn't like it I wouldn't be out of pocket.

So tonight I sat down to idly flick through the pages and after the first chapter I was well and truly hooked, I finished this book in one sitting taking a little under two hours. This book was amazing, it was everything I could ever want in a story. It is not a happy read that is for certain as we find out that Conor's Mum is dying with cancer and as if that wasn't bad enough, he rarely see's his Dad who now lives in America, he doesn't get on with his Grandma and he is being bullied, not really the recipe for a happy go lucky book.

Despite the fact this book can seem a bit grim it has a sort of dark fairy tale feel to it, when Conor meets the 'Monster' in the form of a Yew Tree his whole life begins to change. I liked the stories within the story told by the tree these were enjoyable and realistic with no happy endings. This book had a kind of magical feel to me and I was totally swept up in it's pages it is beautiful and even had me crying towards the end. 

I can not properly put into words how beautifully written it is and my review can not do it justice all I can say it has become one of my favourites and I will surely read it again and again. 

5 out of 5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment