Thursday 6 September 2012

The DUFF (Kody Keplinger) Review


At the beginning of this book we're introduced to Bianca and her two friends Casey & Jessica who are described as two gorgeous blondes. Bianca however is called the duff or Duffy by Wesley the 'hot guy from school' who is also a 'man whore' trying to get into her friends pants. Later we find out that Bianca is going through some family problems as is Wesley and the two, despite constantly bickering, find solace in each other. 

I really did enjoy this book the best part for me was the relationships between the characters, they were so real and you could easily identify with Bianca, she is a normal teenager who lives a normal teenage life and while her story isn't action packed a lot of girls could probably relate to her. 

I liked ALL the characters in this book, Kody just has a way of making all the people in this book seem realistic. The only thing that irritated me was the way Bianca would bottle everything up and push away her friends. Also I was a bit annoyed at how hard everyone was on Wesley he was constantly referred to as a man slut or man whore but there was no evidence of him being like that in the book. He didn't once sleep with anyone else, he didn't even kiss anyone bar Bianca. In fact I found him to be quite charming and attentive if slightly cocky and arrogant. I liked how each character was human and made mistakes it just made the book very real. 

I loved Kody's writing style as it was so easy to read and it just flowed naturally, the dialogue was spot on and realistic.

I gave this book 4 stars out of 5 but really I only rate it 3.5 stars because although it is a great book it's very similar to a lot of other books in the YA genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment