Monday 1 October 2012

Cujo (Stephen King) Review


To be honest I'm not quite sure what I thought of this book. There were moments when I couldn't put the book down and other moments where I wanted to scream in frustration. Stephen King's writing in this book seems rather long winded to me I felt like he spent so much time describing EVERYTHING and EVERYONE without advancing the plot. 

To me the real story was Donna and Tad stuck in the car while being stalked by a rabid Cujo but just as things were getting good he'd start writing about business deals or shopping for curtains which really drove me mad. I could've happily skipped those parts and just read about Donna, Tad & Cujo. It is a horrifying story and you can't help but think how you'd cope in a similar situation. I thought the notion that Cujo was a dead criminal was laughable though I mean he was a dog with rabies. 

It was a sad book and left me feeling depressed and worn out I was sad for Donna & Vic's loss at the end and I was sad for Cujo. The last page of the book really moved me. 

' It would perhaps not be amiss to point out that he had always tried to be a good dog. He had tried to be a good dog. He had tried to do all the things his man and his woman, and most of all his boy, had asked or expected of him. He would have died for them, If that had been required. He had never wanted to kill anybody. He had been struck by something, possibly destiny, or fate, or only a degenerative nerve disease called rabies. Free will was not a factor.' 

That last part made me cry. I guess I would recommend this book it's worth a read :)
I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment