Friday 26 October 2012

Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares Review (Rachel Cohn & David Levithan)



I was sent this book for review by the publisher but that will not influence me in any way. This will be an honest review with my own opinions.

I didn't know how to rate this book if I am honest I was originally only going to give it 2 stars but that felt a little too mean. 

So first of all I will start with the positives, this book is set over the Christmas period which made me feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside, seriously this book made me yearn for Christmas and everything about it. The other thing I liked about this book was that it was so unpredictable, just when I thought I knew what was going to happen the book took a whole new direction. I also liked Lily's character although I found her a little bit too quirky she was still likeable.

I also liked the idea behind the book it was something quite fun and different. The only thing that ruined it for me was how pretentious the writing was, I felt like this book tried a little too hard to be 'cool' and 'hipster'.

Now for the things I didn't like. My main problem with this book was Dash, one of the main characters, I found him arrogant and pretentious. I am not sure if he is supposed to be that way or if David Levithan just writes pretentiously, either way I couldn't stand Dash and he bored me immensely. 

However, that being said, towards the end of the book Dash's friend Boomer gives Lily a speech about Dash where he tells her how much of a good guy he is and seeing him through the eyes of one of his friends made me warm to him. 

I enjoyed reading about all the different characters in this book they were all quirky and interesting. My personal favourite was Lily's Aunt Ida. 

This book just wasn't my cup of tea and it took me over 100 pages to warm to it. Would I recommend it? Yes but I would warn people that i found the writing style to be very pompous. 

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment