Thursday 25 October 2012

Pushing The Limits Review (Katie McGarry)


Okay let me just start this review by telling you that I was sent this book for review by the Publisher but that did not in ANY way influence this review. Now that is out of way I'll get on with my review.

I absolutely adored this book, when I first read the synopsis I was a little wary as it seemed like your typical good girl meets troubled guy and they fall in love. This book was so much more than a cliche it had so many different dimensions to it. First of all we have Echo Emmerson (Let's take a moment to appreciate how beautiful and unique that name is) she is deeply troubled and trying to recover painful memories from her past while dealing with being shunned by people because of the terrifying scars on her arms. Then we have Noah Hutchins whose world was flipped upside down when his parents died in a fire, he went from a popular jock with amazing future prospects to a foster kid who smokes weed and ditches school. 


These two broken teens find each other when they begin therapy with Mrs Collins. While they aren't exactly friendly at first they end up becoming friends when they realize they are both dealing with pretty horrific events from their past. They eventually bond and begin a friendship which leads to them falling in love. I loved Noah and Echo as a couple they were perfect for each other they exuded chemistry and passion. The emotion between these two was raw and incredibly real and it is not something many authors can write successfully but McGarry pulls it off beautifully. 


This is so much more than a love story there are so many elements we follow Echo's journey as she searches for the truth and we follow Noah as he comes to terms with his parent's deaths and learning to cope with his brothers being adopted into a new family. I didn't feel bored once while reading this book I felt as though I was on an emotional roller-coaster and when it ended I just wanted to go straight back to the first page and relive it all over again. 


Now I'm going to talk a bit about the characters in this book. Echo Emmerson is incredibly likable as a character she is quite fragile and pure. She is the kind of girl that is beautiful but doesn't see it, she is kind and faithful and I really wanted nothing but good things to happen to her. 

Noah Hutchins is my favorite type of character, a gorgeous brooding bad boy that turns out to have the biggest heart. The way he cares for his brothers and Echo made my heart melt. I wanted these two to end up together and I wanted them to have a happy ending. 

As for the writing style I loved that each chapter was from different points of view, one chapter we were hearing Echo's thoughts and perspective and the next we were hearing Noah's I think they really brought a little something extra to this book.


5 out of 5 stars and it is a book I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys coming of age stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment