Thursday 1 November 2012

TEN review (Gretchen McNeil)


Where to start with this book? I was a little unsure at first as I am a HUGE fan of Agatha Christie and I was worried that the author would take a brilliant idea and ruin it but boy was I wrong. McNeil took a brilliant idea and made it her own. 

This book centers around a group of high school students who meet up on a remote island for a party thrown by one of the most popular girls in school. Shortly after they all arrive they come across a DVD with a label reading 'Don't Watch Me' the group watch the DVD and it appears to be creepy and sinister which freaks everybody out. The next morning they discover one of the group dead and the power is out, stranded on the island due to the storm they must figure out who the killer is before they are all murdered. 

This book was action pact and fast paced it completely sucked me in and I read it all in one sitting unable to put it down until I found out for sure what was going on. The characters were all flawed in some way so figuring out who was the killer was completely impossible, when it is eventually revealed I was gobsmacked I did not see it coming. Just when I thought I knew who was to blame something would happen and my mind would change completely, I guess you could say the plot kept me on my toes.

The main characters Meg and Minnie are two best friends who have a loving yet strained relationship, I loved how realistic their interactions with one another were and I loved them as a duo. Minnie was a little too erratic for me but I loved Meg she was calm and sensible and definitely the kind of girl you would want around in a crisis. 

There isn't a whole lot I can say about this book without giving away any spoilers so I will say this, the plot was fantastic,unpredictable and at times very spooky, the characters were great to read about and realistic and the setting of the Island was a perfect choice it was eerie and was the perfect place for this murder mystery novel to be set. I recommend this book highly to fans of Agatha Christie or anyone who is looking for something a bit creepy with a hint of mystery.
5 out of 5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment