Saturday 24 November 2012

The Diviners (Libba Bray) Review


Let me just start out by saying I was sent this book for review but that has not influenced my opinions on this book in any way. 

From the moment I picked up this book I was hooked. I was flicking through the pages with no intention of reading it until I had finished a book I was already reading but I was sucked in and dropped everything else. 

This book centers around Evangeline 'Evie' O'Neill. She is sent away to stay with her uncle in Manhattan after getting into a spot of bother in her hometown. She is a spunky flapper girl with bags of attitude and confidence, Evie has easily become my favourite character out of all the books I've ever read. However, Evie has a secret, one that has brought her trouble in the past. But when the police begin to investigate a series of murders Evie realises her gift could help catch the serial killer.

This book has a full cast of characters each with their own secrets and they are all interesting to read about, not once did I feel underwhelmed by a character. I devoured the pages wanting to learn more. For example, there is Theta the showgirl who befriends Evie and is running from her past. Memphis, who used to be able to heal people until the death of his mother and Isaiah, Memphis's younger brother who has the ability to see the future. There is Sam Lloyd who was easily my favourite character besides Evie, who can become invisible by willing someone not to see him. Mabel is Evie's friend and is the plain jane of the group opting to have long flowing locks instead of sporting a bob like Evie and Theta. Then there is Jericho who is hiding a secret of his own, he is serious and often looks down on Evie and her behaviour. 

Now let's just take a moment to appreciate the character of Naughty John. Bray makes this character so eerie and scary that I found myself sleeping with the lights on. He truly is the kind of character you'd find in your nightmares.

Aside from the fast paced action packed plot and the intriguing characters I also found I was completely in love with the setting of this book, 1926 New York. I enjoyed Bray's writing style and her use of the slang from this era. Whilst reading this book I felt transported back in time and when I would put the book down I would feel disappointed and yearn to be back within the pages of the novel.

This book has something very special about it, the character, the plot and the setting are all perfect that this book has easily become one of my favourites and I am eagerly awaiting book two. I will continue to re-read this book for many years to come.

5 out of 5 stars, althought if it were possible I would give it 6! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment