Monday 26 November 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight (Jennifer E Smith) Review




It was really hard for me to rate this book and I feel that 2 stars may be a little mean but it was such a let down and it failed to evoke any emotion in me what so ever. In fact whilst reading this book I just felt kind of nonchalant towards it.

The first thing I noticed was that this book is very thin with quite large font so it is definitely a quick read, which is something I needed after having just finished The Diviners which is almost 600 pages.

I wasn't expecting the worlds greatest love story but I suppose I had heard so many great things about this book that I expected more of it. 

First of all I didn't feel that passionate about any of the characters which bugged me, usually when reading I want to feel some sort of emotion be it love or even hate but this book failed to evoke any emotion in me. I honestly didn't care wether Hadley and Oliver got together or not. They were not enjoyable characters to read about and I found Hadley to be really annoying she spent the whole book being upset about her Dad re-marrying and got over it in like two seconds, another thing that bugged me was that she cried about Oliver a guy she has known a few hours and she didn't even cry about missing her Dad.

This book contained insta-love which is what I disliked the most, maybe I am cynical but I don't believe in love at first sight and I certainly don't believe that Hadley and Oliver are truly in love after knowing each other for less than 24 hours, in fact the whole idea was absurd to me. 

I will admitt I cried at one point in the book when Hadley was thinking about what she had with her Dad in the past and that is because I began thinking about my own Dad and how I'd feel if he moved away and it moved me to tears. It was the only part of the book that made me feel anything and part of that was because of my imagined scenarioof losing my own Dad.

To sum up my feelings about this book I found it to be incredibly boring, full of cliches and a little cheesy. The characters were two dimensional and dull and I will not be picking this book up to read again. Such a let down.

2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment