Friday 4 January 2013

A Midsummer's Nightmare (Kody Keplinger) Review



I had recently read The Duff which I adored so I rushed out and bought two more books by Kody, one of them being A Midsummer's Nightmare. I was super excited to read this book as the synopsis had me intrigued.

This book follows Whitley who goes to stay with her Dad for the summer, she discovers he is engaged and his new fiancee has two children Bailey and Nathan. She is horrified when she realises Nathan is a guy she had slept with at a party a couple of nights ago. Naturally they both feel awkward and end up clashing. 

I was so interested to see where Kody would take this story I was hoping it would be really romantic and about forbidden love but it was nothing like that really. I kinda felt like there were elements of instalove.

Whitley's character is hard to like, but I think that was what Kody had intended, she is difficult, parties a lot and hooks up with a lot of guys. She isn't very friendly and pushes people away, there was times in the book when I wanted to slap her for being such a brat. Her parents aren't very likeable either her mother is described as being selfish and absent and her father is just as absent, rejecting Whitley on numerous occassions in favour of his new family.

I enjoyed this book it was a nice light read but I didn't love it. The story felt pretty generic and to be honest I wasn't that bothered about Whitley and Nathan as a couple, when the book ended it felt kind of anti-climatic. Probably not my go to book by Kody but enjoyable none the less.

3.5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment