Monday 21 January 2013

The Vincent Boys (Abbi Glines) Review




This book follows the friendship/relationships between Ashton Gray, Sawyer Vincent and Beau Vincent who have been friends since childhood. Ashton and Beau were super close as kids getting into all kinds of trouble and Sawyer was always there to bail them out. Fast forward ten years and Ashton is in a relationship with Sawyer, who is seen as the towns golden boy and her friendship with Beau is practically non-existent. Sawyer goes away for the summer leaving behind Ashton who reconnects with Beau.

This book was a little cheesy at times but it was an enjoyable read. I liked the idea of the main characters being flawed as it felt more realistic. Too many YA books portray their characters to be perfect and it was refreshing to see these characters making mistakes and trying to fix them.

I didn't like Ashton a whole lot as a character, she redeemed herself a little towards the end of the book but I felt like she was constantly making selfish decisions. I liked the idea that she wasn't this perfect 'Bella Swan-esque" character but that still wasn't enough to make me like her. Reading this book I was frustrated by how much hurt she caused so many people.

I loved Beau, he was probably my favourite character in the book. Unlike Ashton he didn't seem to have any selfish motives to me, he did what he did because he was deeply in love. I felt heartbroken for him that Ash had snubbed their close bond and dated Sawyer, even I could see how much Beau loved her and how perfect they were for each other.

I felt sorry for Sawyer he is portrayed to be a perfect Prince Charming, Ashton even mocks him in her mind for this but he didn't do anything wrong. Towards the end of the book I felt like the author tried to make him seem "less perfect" to prompt the reader into forgiving Ash and Beau for hurting him but it didn't work on me. I only hope in the next book he finds happiness because he truly deserves it. 

My favourite thing about this book was that Ashton wasn't a typical stroppy bad ass character and she didn't lie about her feelings for Beau. She was pretty honest and didn't fight her feelings which again was refreshing. This book was a quick read, although I felt the beginning was rushed I did enjoy it. I can't wait to read the next book as I'm curious as to how things turn out with Sawyer.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment